Tuesday 2 March 2010

Kiki


Last weekend Miomir and Vid took the volunteers to Becej for an animation workshop. I was not sure what to expect.

-I mean the prospect of spending two WHOLE days with a group of 20 HYPERACTIVE kids, was kind of daunting... to say the least.

As we entered the room with our boxes (well one box and THE Box ;)) the kids just stared at us...Their eyes were pierced at what we were carrying in our hands as well as at the strange people entering their class - us. I can understand that they don't see Spanish or Typical Dutch ;) people everyday, so I was expecting the stares...but what I didn't expect was the amount of time it took for the kids to feel comfortable and approach us...

- 10 seconds!

As soon as I entered the room, this adorable little boy spoke to me: "I love English. I like you. I want to speak English with you!"

-My heart melted.

His name was Christian - or as I call him Kiki - and he was just about the cutest little kid I've ever seen. He was not only an eager volunteer in putting The Box together and participant in the workshop itself, he was also really keen to talk with me and kept making me these little gifts. His knowledge and pronunciation of English was ridiculous...

-RIDICULOUSLY good that is.

I mean if I spoke HALF as good as he does when I was his age - The Queen would even believe me if I said I was born British ;)

Kiki was not the only well mannered kid in the group - in fact the whole group was delightful.

- YES you heard me right. I used the words delightful and kid in the same sentence ;)


They were so enthusiastic and patiently waited their turns to play with The Box. I could not believe my eyes - but these kids were exemplary. Kudos to their parents and tutors!


I cannot deny it - they stole my heart, and in particular this little fella :) He did something that I didn't think was possible. The next time we're off to spend a weekend with a group of kids - I'll think:

-The prospect of spending two WHOLE days with a group of 20 kids is simply NOT ENOUGH, especially if their name is Kiki :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails