Sunday 30 May 2010

What is your Ecological Footprint?


I wanted to find out what mine was, but more importantly I wanted to know what I can do to lower my eco-footprint. So, I went to Greenside-Out (Training course held in Eselnita, Romania from 22-30 May 2010).

Simply put, eco-footprint is a measure of human demand on the Earth's ecosystems and natural resources.

The concept of ecological footprint is based on the assumption that anything that consumes items or energy needs a certain amount of land, water and other natural resources to live the way it is. That means the more active and consuming someone or something is, the larger the ecological footprint for him, her, or it.

Are you one of those people who uses the world's natural resources as if they will never run out? Well, let me tell you this, if we keep on going as we do, then they will run out FAST!

I could give you a whole list of things that you could and should be doing to save resources. But I am not going to. I am just telling you to REDUCE.

Reuse bottles, bags, paper, clothes, etc
Eat seasonal and local produce
Don't let water run while shaving/brushing your teeth/washing dishes
Unplug your appliances when not in use
Choose to go by foot/bike instead of the car
Energy efficient light bulbs

Start reducing your eco-footprint today, so that future generations (of humans as well as all animals) can enjoy a healthy planet with clear air, water and food.

PS. Click here if you want to find out how green you are and what you can do to reduce your eco-footprint

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails